[caption id="attachment_10469" align="alignright" width="300"]
USADTF - Dave Frank[/caption]
After interviews with several candidates, USA Deaf Track & Field (USADTF) is pleased to announce its new head coach, Dave Frank of Frederick, MD to lead its national track & field team in preparation for the 2020 World Championships and 2021 Summer Deaflympics.
Frank contributed to the organization in various capacities. He was the head coach for the Youth PanAMDES Games in Montreal, Canada in 2004 and at Gallaudet University in Washington, DC in 2006. He was also the long distance coach for the 2012 World Championships in Toronto, Canada and 2013 Summer Deaflympics in Sofia, Bulgaria. Besides coaching, he also provided assistance in other areas, including fundraising.
USADTF is thus far pleased with Frank’s promising leadership as he is already making plans, including assembling his coaching staff and beginning the process of forming a team of athletes.
USADTF interviewed Frank with the following questions:
1. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT BEING THE NEW SELECTED HEAD COACH OF THE USA SUMMER DEAFLYMPICS TRACK & FIELD TEAM?
– I feel honored to be selected for this exciting opportunity, especially to be able to carry on the legacy of outgoing Head Coach Thomas Withrow. He played a huge role in the growth of the sport of Deaf Track & Field in his 40 years as an athlete, assistant coach and head coach. His passion for and dedication to this sport are to be admired. With the Withrow era ending on a strong note, I hope to continue to improve the overall USADTF program and strengthen the sport of Deaf Track & Field in the next two years.
2. WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO BE THE HEAD COACH?
– It’s a great opportunity to collaborate with knowledgeable specialty coaches whose objective is to see that the USA team continue to compete at the highest possible international level in a cohesive manner.
– I want to continue to be able to give back to the Deaf community, as Deaf sports has been a very important part of my life for decades.
3. WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS?
– Recruit and retain athletes who have the potential to medal in the 2021 Summer Deaflympics for each event and athletes who are in the development phase with the realistic goal to participate in future Deaflympics.
– Assure that all athletes are in constant training to remain in top shape to strive to reduce their personal best times or increase their personal best distances/heights.
– Teamwide/countrywise, win as many medals as possible in the 2020 World Championships and 2021 Summer Deaflympics.
– Assure that each athlete/coach represent USA with pride and patriotism at all times.
4. WHAT CHANGES ARE YOU PLANNING ON COMPARING THE PREVIOUS HEAD COACH/TEAMS?
– I do not foresee any major changes in the immediate future. Changes may be made as time goes on.
– As in the previous last few Deaflympics, I plan to welcome only those who have met the “A” standards (who have the potential to medal) and those who meet the “B” standards (development phase). Those who strive to make the Deaflympics team and do not meet those standards are highly encouraged to continue to train and compete to reach them.
5. WHAT CHALLENGES ARE YOU FACING?
– Fundraising continues to be a challenge for the organization. It puts a burden on the athletes and coaches to have to raise their own funds, which distracts from their ability to focus on their sport.
– Lack of awareness among some local deaf athletes who may not be aware of their opportunities with USADTF. My goal is to make a better effort to reach out to more of these athletes who may be a good fit for the team.
Please join USADTF to congratulate Head Coach Dave Frank!
: 2020 World Championships and 2021 Summer Deaflympics application is now open. To apply, for a spot on the USA Team, click here
To make donations to USADTF, click here